23 May 2017

A New Song


"Sing a new song to the LORD!  Sing His praises from the ends of the earth!
... The LORD will march forth like a Mighty Hero ... He will say ...
"I will lead ... down a new path, guiding ... along an unfamiliar way.
I will brighten the darkness before ... and smooth out the road ahead ..."
(from Isaiah 42)

It started 20 years ago ... this journey of becoming a teacher overseas.

I left Bible School, moved back home to BC, and began studies at TWU.  5 years later I graduated with a Bachelor of Education.

My teaching degree has been used in Indonesia to create homeschool and English teaching materials, as well as Sunday School curriculum for Indonesian churches.  It has not been a waste.  

But 1 year ago, after enjoying teaching a bit up at our kids' school here in Papua, I began applying to receive a teaching visa to teach at this American school.  

5 months later, the teaching thing kinda blew up ... and to make a long story short, I had to leave the country, come back on a visitor's visa, and I was not allowed to teach.

It has been a hard 6 months.  Not because of the lack of teaching ... it has just been a challenging time.  As the apostle Paul talked about "the troubles [that they] experienced in ... Asia.  [They] were under great pressure ..."  This resonates with me.

But God is faithful.  He is teaching me dependance and about His gracious love.  

Yes, this past year has been a stretching time for me ...
But God was doing something while I struggled:
He was making a way for my dream to come true.

Last Monday, 6 months after I had to leave the country, and 1 year after begin the application process, I received permission to receive a visa!  

It has been a wavy and windy storm ... but "the wind and waves still know His Name".

I walk down this path that the LORD has been brightening and smoothing ... singing a new song.