9 May 2007
Sticking Out
Always and forever different here ... us. Makes one begin to understand Hollywood stars. Wide eyes, blank faces staring in awe, laughter. I rarely am called out to as "Ibu" (Mrs.). Usually people assume that I am not married ("Neng" or "Non" or "Mbak") or they call me "Mr." (in English). "Halo Mr.!" When they call out this phrase when I am with Chris, I remind him that they may be calling out to me. Annoying, yes. "Buleh" (pronounced "boo-lay") is usually used in 3rd person towards us. For example, a group of school kids may see us and after we have passed they laugh and talk about the "buleh" that just passed. But, today I was called "Buleh" in 1st person. I found this rather humourous as I have already introduced myself to these people as "Ibu Chris" (Mrs. Chris). I suppose they saw it as an affectionate term. "Buleh, sudah siang!" ("Foreigner, it's already noon!") they called out to me at 5:50 AM!!! I'm not sure their full meaning behind telling me that the day was already half over ... perhaps I was a little off schedule in their books and I ran past them 5 minutes later than normal?? But all of these stares and glances are bothering us less and less ... we are becoming accustomed to being watched. And in this I am also thankful ... for what better opportunity to be a witness than when you are watched. May our actions, attitudes, interactions, and motives be pure and may we truly be witnesses, good witnesses, of the Most High -- the Foreigner who walked this planet so long ago.