27 March 2006

Enjoying the Ride

It's late, but I wanted to just post a quick "hi" to let you know that I haven't forgotten about you, dear blog and readers. To write is to unwind, and with recent problems in our internet connection, my desire to write and my ability to have not matched. Like I said, I ought to be in bed, but internet happens to be up right now, so here I am. We had an absolutely marvelous time with Oma and Karmen. There's not much to do in Palangka Raya, but what there is to do, we did it! We took the ordinary things of life here in this funny town and made them extraordinary -- because when in time do you have Tehya's great grandmother with her eldest and youngest granddaughters in Palangka Raya at one time?!? By now, Oma and Karmen have safely arrived at home and I look back on what was so real a few days ago to now being a memory. Thank you for coming, Oma and Karmen ... your visit means so, so much to us. So much. I saw a beautiful sight out on my run this morning. It was raining and so the usual motorbike-infested road was clearer than normal because Indonesians do not like rain. But many of those that were travelling to work or school by motorbike, were decked out in large ponchos. It caught my eye, a beautiful picture. That of a father taking his child to school, but I couldn't see the child. All I saw was the father, wearing a poncho, with the kid's legs poking out from underneath. The child had hopped on the motorbike behind her father, and the father had draped the back of his poncho over his child. And this is how the father rode his kid to school. The child could not see where she was going, but rested in the dark shadow of her father's poncho -- because the father knew where he was going. I sometimes feel like this child. I've jumped on to this "adventure" and can't see where I am going. Thankfully, though, I can rest under my Father's wings ... He knows where He is going. Good-night. Zzzzzz.