18 September 2009

Second Chance

She walked right into the room where I was home schooling the children. She had one eye that was obviously blind and the other I wasn’t sure about. She was very short, was covered in her religious gear, and greeted me with a formal handshake/bow.
She needed money. She wanted to borrow money. I had been in Aceh for one day. Didn’t know the woman from Eve. She was in my house. Weird.
I kindly responded to her, but did not lend this total stranger money.
Afterwards I regretted the fact that I had not taken the time to pray with her.
Well, she came again. This time to the back door. I told her that she had already been to our home. She disagreed with me. And then finally was convinced after I repeated that she had indeed begged for money at this house already.
“But,” I added, “Can I pray for you?”
I was thankful for another chance.
And although I probably broke some religious rule in this area, I didn’t disobey the prompting I felt in my heart …
And who knows? Maybe she will never be the same.