4 February 2011

Celebrating This Circus Act

Flexibility ... that has been the theme of my adult life. When visiting the MAF US base in 2000, I was eager to soak up whatever advice I could get. I asked the teacher recruiter at the time, "How can I best prepare?" Her answer: "Learn flexibility." That has been some of the best wisdom that I have been given. Every day is a juggling act, every day a circus performance here in Indonesia. The violin symphony that I am attempting to play out with my life feels more like a tight rope walk as I dodge and jump and wiggle my way through the treasured days I have been given.
Yesterday was a celebration. Twenty-eight years ago, I opened my heart up to my Best Friend and Lover of my soul. I was out grocery shopping yesterday (What an ordeal!!! Again, flexibility!) with Makenna and stopped for a breather. I ordered her a "strawberry milkshake" (Oh how I wish you could hear how I need to say those English words with an Indonesian accent to be understood!) and delighted in watching my little girl enjoy it! She said, "Every girl like one of these!" I told her it was like a birthday party! And then I remembered that it was my birthday party.
In spending time with Jesus yesterday, He led me to verses about "walking", "leading", "shepherding", "following". How significant. He has been with me every awkward and fear-filled step of the way, whispering to me many times along the way, encouraging me in ways that only He can.
The reality of earth's failures are very real in a 3rd world country: dirt, dust, disease, depression, destruction. Perhaps that is why I often write about our heavenly home. It is such a joyful hope for this recovering perfectionist to know that one day all will be perfect.