29 September 2012
What Do You Want?
"What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked the blind man (Mark 10:51).
This man had an answer. What was mine?
Sometime last year, when we were living on that small island east of Borneo, I processed this passage of Scripture.
I knew I had an answer to Jesus' question. It had been a tough year, a chapter full of challenges and struggles.
One morning I bravely wrote my answer down, and spoke it out into the silence. I knew what I wanted to ask of the LORD: Contentment & Peace.
Around that same time, some finches had built a nest in the potted plant on our front porch. For weeks, after kissing Chris good-bye, I went to that plant, coffee in hand, to peek at the eggs. The eggs eventually hatched, and inside the nest I could see black fuzz. Then, days later, skinny baby birds could be recognized.
We were all at home the morning the birds learned to fly. I would have missed seeing them off had Chris not spotted a little one that hadn’t flown away yet. He brought him to me in the palm of his hand.
And I held in my hands the little life that I had patiently been waiting for.
My heart danced. My soul sung.
For as I had waited for the birds to fly, God too had been developing in me a response to my request. The new song that He had been whistling in the dark suddenly flooded my soul … And a chapter of contentment and peace that I had never felt before began.
He had rescued me! When I had nearly drowned in a chapter of life that was sorrowful and stretching, He came riding in, and grabbed me from the mire.
He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of contentment and peace … a symphony of praise to our God.
So, what do you want?