15 April 2013

No Fear

I once had a "No Fear" t-shirt ... You know the name-brand of which I speak, right? This is the one my 10-year-old frame sported:  "I'm not scared ... I'm not afraid ... I'm tough, I'm an animal ... And I will eat you if I have to!"  I wish I was joking.  And I wish I would have kept this shirt for Paeton.

Fear is an awful feeling.  It can be as slight as a stomach-turning-fear of nervousness to a consuming control that takes one captive.  Fear is actually not awe-full.  The opposite of fear is faith ... Faith is the standing-in-awe, full-of-wonder confidence that is focused on the God Who has promised much different than what fear lies about.  

"What if ..." haunts.
"Even if ..." comforts.

The two horse-like dogs next door are not welcome guests in our neighbourhood.  They stink and strut.  They poke around their backyard like wolves on a hunt.  The collars around their necks say to passer-byers, "I'm dangerous."  Their bark is nasty ... and scary.  

I have 3 young-ish children, but I am not afraid of these dogs.  Why?  Well, they are on another property, beyond our walls, and shut up behind the neighbour's fence.

Oh to see fear and it's haunting lies like I do these dogs ... Locked up.  Taken care of by Someone Else. 

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”  (Joshua 1:9)