20 January 2015

Clearing the Clutter

I have taken over managing our mission's guesthouse here.  It has 5 suites surrounding a courtyard.  Five little homes with full cupboards and drawers sitting in the humidity of the equator.  Years of donations -- spatulas, tea towels, frying pans, straws, hand mixers, tea ...

It is a dream come true to go through these places and tidy.
This goes into the garbage, this is given away, this is worth keeping  ...
I love this job.

And as I prayed about what to write, I saw this clutter as an analogy.  What things in my life need to go?  What have I stored away for another day that does not need to be used again?  Fear?  Insecurity?  Dread?  Guilt?  Anger?

Yes.

And once I let these things go -- out of my over-stuffed cupboards and clenched fists ... I feel like I can breath ... and there is space ... to think and pray and fill with real treasures.  Faith.  Security.  Hope.  Peace.  Love.

It's time to clear the clutter.