26 December 2014

Christmas in this Corner

We are far removed from snow and sleds, family and friends, material beauty and bounty ... but there is a new sense of Christmas that I grasped his year -- that is, the great celebration of Christmas!
And Papuans know how to celebrate!

The dirty, dusty streets are filled with vendors selling strings of lights and fireworks.  Every couple of blocks, Christians have built small "stables" where Christmas music is blasted.  Even a few policemen are seen with Santa hats on while directing traffic!  Christmas trees are created out of old tires and plastic bags; some walls are specially painted with a Christmas picture.  Firecrackers explode at night.  Glittery ornaments and cookie treats are for sale in the stores.

As I recovered from dengue, I began to celebrate the joy of our greatest Gift's birth.  It was a delight to find gifts for our children here in this corner of the world, bake traditional treats from both sides of our family, count the advent candles at church, and teach our kids some fundamentals of the faith.  Brown-paper-packages from Canada and simple presents from here were tucked under the tree.  I love the anticipation.

God gave us insight on how to love the Papuans we are getting to know and we were able to gather over ham and turkey dinners with North American team-mates.  Skype and telephone calls were enjoyed.  New traditions were made and old ones were savored.

Merry Christmas to our loved ones in Canada ... from this crazy and celebratory corner of the world!