6 January 2006

Time

Some things just take time. Time to observe, time to learn, time to adjust. There were days in the last year when I felt like every cell of my body and every corner of my soul had been stretched to its outermost. We have enjoyed good laughs and great conversations with Indonesians. But yesterday, a corner was turned, and I feel like I might actually become really good friends with an Indonesian girl here. She doesn't look at me or speak to me like I am a dollar sign. This is rare in a country where those who are rich are expected to help the poor. Now, I love to help ... but yesterday I also needed a friend. Someone to just hang out with. Someone who doesn't see your outside as a stumbling block or as a possible benefit to them. Someone who just sees you and wants to get to know you.