11 June 2008
Mama Eki
We spent two nights in Jakarta before flying into our town, PLR. It struck me in a new way how poverty stricken this place is. How run down by the heat of the equator’s sun the buildings are, how bright the noon sun is, how dry things look. It is a remote place, this city surrounded by jungle. What a unique corner of the world it is. We live on a quiet street. Our house is neighbored by a large yellow mansion on the right and a small wooden shack on the left. Mama Eki lives in the shack. She came to me about a year ago, asking if I might be interested in hiring her as a gardener. Mama Eki takes such pride in her work. She faithfully comes with such joy and responsibility, tidies the yard, waters the potted plants, plucks the weeds. And she did all this while I was away too. We came home to a beautifully cared for yard. Even when my eye was not on her, she came and worked with diligence. I pray that I will be as faithful as she … that when my Master returns, I too will be found faithful (Ephesians 6:5-9).