17 December 2009
Tiara
"Never," was the reply when Chris asked her father how often she drinks milk. She's wide eyed and skinny. Her hair is barely enough to cover her head. She sleeps in a shack with a fine view of garbage and with rain water threatening to flood her home any day. Her teeth are nearly rotted away from lack of hygiene. Her father makes a decent wage. Her mother also works. But somehow the lack of education, the unwise financial decisions and just life in Indonesia has made a very sad existence for this family. I visited them yesterday. Sat on the floor and drank the water they offered. I brought them Christmas presents, vegetables, fish and chicken. So little in proportion to what they need. But she, along with her 3 siblings, eagerly waited to open the sack of goodies once I left ... I imagine she is happy ... for today.