18 April 2010
For A Moment
Itin's handicapped father has been caring for her since her mother's sudden death. Just a couple of weeks ago they moved in next door to live in the shack with my neighbor. And then, with very short notice, Itin's father said that he would be taking his little girl to a different island where he would leave her there with relatives. She was playing out in our yard on the day that they would leave and I had noticed that she had a scraped leg. I went outside to bandage her wound and as I cleaned it, I asked her if she remembered the very important Easter story that I had told her. And she said that she did. Then I told her that I care for her and gave her a hug. I gave her extra bandaids ... and just at that moment she was called to. And she was taken away. Our hearts broke as we watched her drive away. This little girl who we were given the chance to love for just a little while, is somewhere far away now ... scared and possibly unwanted. This sweet child who asked, "Jesus, where have you hidden my mother?" is an orphan tonight ... But for a moment God gave me the chance to love her ... for a moment she had a mother again.