19 October 2010
Here & There
It’s a warm and windy day. What a change from our previous home which could only be described as “warm“. Actually, Paeton would correct me, as he once did and say, “It is not warm, Mom! It is HOT!” Ok, ok. So, it’s a hot and windy day … but I’m wearing pants, sitting under a fan and I’m not sweating a bit! How wonderful!!! The difference is that we are on the coast now, which makes this near-equator town a bit more moderate.
The city here feels busier and dirtier than P.R., but smaller in size. Everything looks squished together compared to our last place which was spread out like the Prairies. The Christian population is less here, the Buddhists and Moslems more. There are several mosques that are closer to our house, making the five daily calls to prayer more noticeable here. The Western population consists of 11 families (going on 13) rather than only 4 families. We all serve with the same mission and live fairly close to one another.
In P.R., our house was fixed up how we liked, our neighbors were our dear friends, the roads were familiar, and I knew where to find everything I needed in town.
Here our house needs much fix-up (we can’t even live in it yet), the house beside us stands empty, I only know the name of one road, and I’m still trying to find everything I need in town.
But, I’m holding onto the peace that I felt when we were asked to move here. The peace that touched my heart with a knowledge that our time there was done. The joy that I felt that even though we were leaving comfort, we were being called to challenge.
Even though I love my friends there in ways I cannot describe, I do not long for yesterday. I cannot wish for “there” when I am called to be “here”.
But I treasure those 5 years deeply …
I am happy to be here, but at the same time I miss there.