27 April 2012

Once Again

I saw Danielle again.

The friend who knew me when we had only met. A kindred spirit.

We shared but one year together in college. The year I came away changed because I had loved deep and was deeply loved. And throughout the 15 years between then and now, we've found ways to share life all along the way: spur-of-the-moment road trips, shopping days, long walks, girls' weekends, a most special birthday celebration, weekly Skype dates, reading each others blogs, packages sent in perfect timing.
My heart was ready to pour out with stories to her when we landed on Canadian soil ... but it was not meant to be.

I read the dreadful news on my phone. My journey had just ended. Hers had just begun. I wept with loss. I felt robbed.
But for 30 hours this week, we gazed into each others eyes. We talked like college dorm mates once again. We laughed a little. We cried a lot. We looked fear in the face ... And chose faith instead. This time we dined on cabbage sprout salad instead of rich chocolatey McCain's. We went to bed at a decent hour and even exercised in the morning.
But what surprised me most ... was that she kept her word.  She wanted to hear.
Her life is a raging storm, but she listened even to me.

My heart feels no longer robbed.  I have seen my dear friend again.
Fear's shadow steals. God's reflection gives.
What a friend I have in you, Life-full-one.